Wilson Hall is a historic Methodist Seminary building on Franklin Street here in Bucksport. Built in 1850-51 by the Eastern Maine Methodist Conference, it housed the only Methodist Seminary in eastern Maine. Of the two surviving buildings of the seminary, this the finest, a handsome Greek revival structure that is a distinctive local landmark. The building was listed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1983.
The school closed in 1933, and in 1941 the property was purchased by an order Roman Catholic Oblate Fathers who operated St. Joseph’s Seminary on the premises until 1971. The property was sold to a private owner in 1978. After standing vacant and deteriorating for many years, the building was taken for taxes by the town more than 10 years ago.
After at least two unsuccessful plans to redevelop Wilson Hall and several prospects for its demolition, Larry Wahl purchased the property in February of this year, 2019. His plan is to restore the exterior to its original grandeur and to renovate the interior into at least two apartments and possibly some public space. The work will be done in 4 or 5 phases and will most likely take as many years. Look for the lights to be on shortly!
We are very lucky to have acquired this restoration project and are very excited to keep you all updated on this. Larry Wahl started a Facebook page to collect the images from start to finish, it can be seen on Facebook @ https://www.facebook.com/Saving-Wilson-Hall-101681827865226/